Saturday, February 5, 2011

Misogynist Bastards and the Women Who Obsess Over Them


Okay, so I haven't been as good about updating as I thought I would, but that won't stop me from trying! Right now, I feel the need to talk about my latest obsession:

Yeah, a season and a half in and I'm still a little uncomfortable admitting this out loud.

However, it's actually a really good show. Definitely better than the average teen show. Yes, it lacks the sex and gore of True Blood and the... sparkliness of Twilight--actually I'm lying. This show is about 400% better than anything Twilight has to offer. And yes, it has serious issues in the race department--all of the people of color on the show are either cannon fodder or witches (the "magical Negro," anyone?)--but I'm hoping the writers will eventually listen to the critics and iron out these issues. Because despite its problems, The Vampire Diaries is definitely worth watching .

The writing and acting are surprisingly good, and it tends to be really fast-paced and exciting. The show's lead, Nina Dobrev, has turned out to be a promising actress, playing two completely different roles--sweet, determined high-school girl Elena and evil vampire Katherine--with skill.
And the titular vampires in question, brothers Stefan and Damon Salvatore, ably played by Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder, are both extremely likable characters in their own ways. Stefan, the less evil of the pair, is the love interest of Elena--the Angel to Damon's Spike, if you will. But unlike Buffy's Angel, Stefan actually seems like he'd be fun to hang out with, and is beginning to show an interesting dark side that could possibly rival his brother's.

And Damon? Well, we'll get to Damon in a minute....

This week's episode partially centered on my personal favorite character, Caroline, a stuck-up beauty queen turned badass vampire. Caroline's had a difficult time of it. She spent much of her human time on the show being used as a sex toy/snack by Damon. Then, when she was killed by Katherine/turned into a vampire, she was forced to compel her mother to forget she was a vampire and rejected her boyfriend, Matt, because she was afraid she'd accidentally hurt him. In the past couple of episodes, she's befriended newly-turned werewolf, Tyler, putting herself in immense danger, as one bite from a werewolf is fatal to a vampire.

So, in this past episode, some of Tyler's werewolf buddies kidnapped my Caroline to lure Stefan and Damon to them, keeping her in a tiny cage and torturing her in the process! Poor Caroline managed to escape with the reluctant help of Tyler, but it was obvious that the experience affected her deeply. Also, when Elena and Bonnie showed up for a sleepover at the end of the episode, I may have cried a little. Shut up.

So, with my love for Caroline in mind, one might be surprised to learn of my obsession with Damon Salvatore, no? So the guy's basically a rapist, definitely a psychopath, and also fits into my growing (and slightly alarming) list of favorite sci-fi characters who are misogynist bastards: Spike, Gaius Baltar, and the hero of Canton--the man they call Jayne. So what's with me and sci-fi assholes? Frankly, I don't know, except they often tend to be the most entertaining characters, and I'm also a sucker for a good redemption story, which is what Damon's arc (hopefully) is turning out to be. And another thing:

Yeah, so the other night's episode began in the shower, and ended in the bath. What else can I say, the writers apparently love him too.




Anywho, aside from the pretty, like I said, Damon seems like he's headed for some form of redemption, though it may be a long time coming. But this doesn't make him just another Spike. Though Spike, too, was a hottie, I was never a fan of how his story turned out. I was one of the few who didn't mind the chip-in-the-head storyline, and his subsequent crush on Buffy. I thought the chip was a nice device to make Spike just vulnerable enough to start realizing his true nature. What I took issue with was the restoration of Spike's soul.

I didn't buy the whole "soul" mythology of Buffy. Aside from being wildly inconsistent, it didn't make a whole lot of sense. Buffy's insistence that Spike was good "because he has a soul!" was patently ridiculous. Creatures with souls do terrible things all the time! Within the show, we had Faith, as well as Warren, Jonathan, and Andrew, for starters. Furthermore, it seems like when Angel was turned, he just became a more bloodthirsty version of his human self. But when he gained his "soul," he completely changed personality. It seems that Spike, when forced to stop killing for awhile, was much more similar to his human nature, even without this so-called soul.

Basically, I think his story would have been much more compelling if Spike hadn't gained a soul, but instead had his chip removed and decided to be a good(-ish) person anyway. The soul, within the weird mythology of the show, forced Spike to be good, taking the choice out of the equation. I think the questions that would have arisen from a "soulless" creature choosing the path of righteousness would have been fascinating and much more challenging for an audience and the writers.

Okay, where was I going with this crazy tangent? So the "soul" doesn't seem to really be an issue in The Vampire Diaries, which I like. Vampires can choose to do good or evil, though the impulse toward evil seems to be really strong. I enjoy Damon, because he has some definite preconceived notions about what a vampire is "supposed" to be, but it seems as if his "evil-ness" is mostly an act for his own and others' benefit.

Don't get me wrong, Damon does really horrible things (rape and murder, let's not forget). But it's obvious that, though he does his best to hide it, he really cares about other people. His behavior toward Elena and Rose, and even sometimes Stefan and Caroline clearly shows us this. However, Damon perceives these "human" emotions as weakness, and so pretends not to care. In the last couple of episodes, we've seen this more and more as he's beginning to unravel under the weird of all of his conflicting feelings. At the end of both of these episodes, he basically Hamlets out, using women as his own personal therapists before either killing or feeding on them. So I think he's definitely going to get worse before he gets better--possibly heading for a major breakdown in the near future. But I'm hoping he'll find his way somehow before the end.

Either way, I hope the writers don't screw up his character. Despite his despicable deeds, Damon is a fun character with some real emotional depth. He can piss me off one second, and make me cry the next (kinda like Gaius Baltar). Just please, writers, don't give him a soul!

No comments: